No place in Thailand for trouble makers: PM
per1234
#1 Udskriv indlæg
Skrevet d. 05-04-2015 03:32
Bruger avatar

Bruger

Antal indlæg: 857

Vows election, return to democracy; Pridiyathorn allays fears on Article 44

Those who obstruct the government's attempt to rebuild Thai society have no place here, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday while defending being vested with absolute power under Article 44 of the provisional charter.

He said those who opposed him were using the notion of "democracy" as a tool to pressure the government and were not altruistic.

"So far, I have told foreign countries: Please give Thai people time … because they [foreigners] don't understand. They see our country as beautiful but they do not know that our house is full of holes. We're filling up [the holes] with bricks and sand but there are people who keep pouring water on it while it's not dry yet. These people should no longer reside in this land," said Prayut.

The prime minister insisted that he had not violated anyone's rights and he had not shut down any media outlets. He also stressed that no one had been killed under Article 44.

He was speaking at the 106th anniversary of the founding of the Command and General Staff College in Bangkok.

Prayut, who enjoys absolute powers under Article 44 as head of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), gave a stern warning to his opponents.

"Do not cause troubles to the country. Do not use the word democracy now. I will surely return it [later]. What is the inconvenience?" Prayut asked, adding he would stick to the roadmap and organise a general election and return democracy next year without postponement.

Prayut said friends of Thailand should ask if their countries were facing the same threats and situation as the Kingdom, with bombs and war weapons being used.

He was reacting to criticisms from the United Nations, the United States, the European Union and major international rights groups for invoking Article 44 after martial law was lifted on Wednesday.

"I am here and I will surely be responsible for everything. But everyone must cooperate with me to create the right understanding. Everyone in this country, if you are Thai, must help this country. You don't need to help me," he said.

Prayut denied recent accusations that he had threatened to execute journalists under Article 44 as reported by CNN. He added that from now on, he would give as few interviews as possible.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister MR Pridiyathorn Devakula yesterday said the lifting of martial law would benefit the tourism industry. He also defended invoking Article 44 to issue a new NCPO order to replace martial law.

Pridiyathorn disputed comments by the foreign media that Article 44 is harsher than martial law. He said all the foreign ambassadors who had talked to him agreed that Article 44 is "better than" martial law.

"People, of course, can find ways to criticise Article 44. But if you compare it with martial law, you will find that it is much better," he said.

Bank of Thailand Governor Prasarn Trairatvorakul advised the government to clarify the reasons for the use of Article 44.

"Other countries are more familiar with a system that uses institutions rather than an individual [to govern]. So they do not understand Article 44, which uses one person instead of institutions with a checks and balances system to govern," he said.

"We have to accept that the country has experienced some limitation in the past because of political turmoil. If a special law is required for a special situation such as this, the government should clarify the need for such a law. They should stress that it will only be temporary and they should explain that there is an ongoing effort to get back to the system more familiar to foreigners," he said.

Prasarn said the government should clarify the situation because some countries may be reluctant to invest here or trade with us.

http://www.nation...57413.html
Til forsiden  Til toppen  Til bunden
Gå til debat:

Lignende tråde

Emne Forum Svar Nyeste indlæg
Før du rejser på ferie til Thailand se med her Hele Thailand 10 18-05-2024 11:39
Thailand Postcard Billeder fra Thailand 32 18-05-2024 11:34
Fem skønne nationalparker i Thailand Hele Thailand 1 18-05-2024 11:24
Thailand’s ‘Little Russia Fri debat: Phuket 5 17-05-2024 09:27
100 Reasons To Pack Your Bags For Thailand Hele Thailand 2 15-05-2024 08:32

Alt indhold på denne side er Copyright @ copy 2009 Thai DK Debat Forum Alle rettigheder forbeholdes Siden er optimeret til 1024 * 768